Saturday, October 27, 2018

The Broad Scope of “their land” in II Chronicles 7:14

“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
  Here’s the punch line first: “their land” = “the whole earth,” not just “my country.”
  The original context was about three millennia ago, at the dedication of King Solomon’s temple. A millennium later Jesus of Nazareth came, lived, died, rose, ascended, and was enthroned as the entire world’s Suffering King. Jesus was both Israel’s Messiah and the entire world’s Savior. Jesus expanded “Israel” to mean all kinds of people who would follow him. For II Chronicles 7:14, “my people” expands to all of Jesus’s followers worldwide, irrespective of nationality, ethnicity, socio-economic class, or any other distinction.
  Our identity as Jesus’s followers affects, encompasses, but is not restricted to any of these categories. To humble ourselves, repent, and pray for God’s merciful healing of “our land” as “God’s people” similarly should not be restricted to my socio-economic class, ethnicity, nationality, gender, or whatever. The power of national identity often constrains us to assume that “our land” = “my country.” In actuality, however, God’s merciful healing of “our land” encompasses the “whole earth.” We are awaiting a “new heaven and new earth,” not simply a new national entity - all of which change, come, and go throughout history.
  The Jesus-fulfilled prayer: “If my worldwide people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal the still unredeemed earth.” May it be so, Lord Jesus. Come quickly!

1 comment: